The Committee on Climate Change have published a report assessing the role of biomass – wood, plants and organic waste – in the global strategy to tackle climate change.
The report’s key findings are:
- Managing biomass stocks is an important component of global climate mitigation strategies.
- Sustainably harvested biomass can play a significant role in meeting long-term climate targets, provided it is prioritised for the most valuable end-uses.
The key recommendations of the report are:
- The UK should aim to increase the volume of carbon stored in our forests and land.
- Food and biodegradable waste must be collected separately from other refuse in all areas across the UK.
- Rules governing the supply of sustainable sources of biomass for energy need to be improved.
- Biomass must be used in the most effective way. Uses that enable long-term carbon storage should be prioritised.
Find out more and download the report here.